Bouncing Off The Walls: Music and Architecture
Music and architecture share a vocabulary and they overlap through analogies and metaphors. Composers “build” symphonies, which are highly structured. And architects dream of buildings that unfold to the senses like music, a seamless flow of experience through time and space. Both forms use terms like ornament, balance and symmetry. But is architecture really “frozen music,” an idea that emerged in the late 18th century when musical forms were becoming longer and more complex?
Bouncing off the Walls: Music and Architecture explores the complex relation between the two art forms, from music that was specifically written for particular buildings to early 20th-century modernist efforts to reduce both forms to their elemental materials.
The program includes an overture by Beethoven written to celebrate a newly remodeled theater and opera house, works by Gabrieli, composed for the mighty Basilica of San Marco in Venice, a symphony by Haydn featuring one of the most complicated “architectural” forms ever composed, a short but volcanic work by Anton Webern and a classic overture by Rossini, reassembled to maximize the acoustic possibilities of The Kennedy Center Terrace Theater.
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Overture The Consecration of the House
- Giovanni Gabrieli: Sonata Pian e Forte
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony 47, Adagio and Minuet
- Anton Webern: 5 pieces for orchestra op. 10.
- Gioachino Rossini: William Tell Overture
- Philip Kennicott, guest curator
- PostClassical Ensemble conducted by Angel Gil-Ordóñez
- Phone: 202-467-4600
- Venue: The Kennedy Center, Terrace Theater, 2700 F St NW, Washington, DC 20566
News / Reviews
PostClassical Ensemble Surveys Architecture— The Georgetowner, published on November 30, 2023
Music and architecture converse in PostClassical Ensemble’s ‘Bouncing Off the Walls’— DC Theater Arts, published on November 18, 2023
- Beyond Category: The Concert Music of Duke Ellington
- Amazing Grace: In Paradisum
- Bouncing Off The Walls: Music and Architecture
- Nights in the Gardens of Spain
- A Celebration in Ankara
View all performances