Beyond Psycho: The Genius of Bernard Herrmann
PostClassical Ensemble continues its advocacy of Herrmann as “the most under-rated 20th century American composer” with a Whitman Birthday program —he was born May 31, 1819– featuring the world premiere concert performance of a Herrmann masterpiece: Whitman, a 1944 radio play produced by the legendary genius of radio drama: Norman Corwin.
With commentary by Whitman enthusiasts: Peyman Allahvirdizadeh, Steven Herrmann, Martin Murray, Neil Richardson, Kim Roberts.
Musically I count myself an individualist. I believe that only music which springs out of genuine personal emotion is alive and important. I hate all cults, fads, and clichés.Bernard Herrmann
Herrmann: Clarinet Quintet
Herrmann: Psycho Narrative for string orchestra
Herrmann / Corwin: Whitman (a radio play for actor and orchestra). World premiere concert performance.
- William Sharp, baritone
- PostClassical Ensemble
- Angel Gil-Ordóñez, conductor
- Phone: 202-537-6200
- Venue: The Washington National Cathedral, 3101 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016
- Beethoven’s Triple Concerto
Fri, August 2, 2019 – 7:30 pm
- Copland and Mexico
Sat, July 13, 2019 – 7:30 pm
- Beyond Psycho: The Genius of Bernard Herrmann
Sat, June 1, 2019 – 7:30 pm
- Annapolis Symphony Academy Ensemble Concert
Sun, May 12, 2019 – 4:00 pm
- Winners of the 2018 Georgetown University Orchestra Concerto Competition
Sat, April 13, 2019 – 8:00 pm
View all performances